The School Essentials Grant will replace the Pupil Development Grant from 1 July 2023 for the 2023 to 2024 academic year. The eligibility criteria will remain the same. Grants of £125 per pupil or £200 per pupil for those starting year 7 will be available.
A School Essentials Grant is available to assist families on a low income to buy school uniform, sports kit, uniform for enrichment activities, school bags, stationery etc. Please note IT equipment is excluded from this grant. This year the grant is available to pupils entering:
- All year groups in a maintained primary school
- Years 7, 8, 9, 10 or Year 11 of a maintained secondary school
- A special school, a special needs resource base or a pupil referral unit, and are aged 4 to 15
The grant is also available to all looked after children of compulsory school age based in a Cardiff school.
Pupils with no recourse to public funds and asylum seekers entering any primary age year group; Year 7; Year 8; Year 9; Year 10 and Year 11 in the 2022 to 2023 school year are entitled to a grant.
The parent or guardian making the application must be receiving one of the following:
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
- Employment Support Allowance (income related)
- Child Tax Credit, with a household income of £16,190 or less
- Pension Credit (guarantee element)
- Universal Credit with net household earnings of less than £7400
Working Tax Credit is not a qualifying Benefit and if you are in receipt of Working Tax Credit you will not be entitled to a Uniform Grant even if you get this together with one of the incomes above.
If you need help or have any questions you can contact us. 029 2053 7250