Bereavement Benefits

The Hub logo | Logo yr Hyb

Help is available if you experience bereavement in the family

Losing a relative usually means that your household income changes. In some cases you may need to make new applications for benefits you already receive – always speak to the people paying those benefits to find out what you need to do.

You may also be entitled to other help. If your husband, wife or civil partner has passed away, and you are under state pension age you can apply for Bereavement Support Payments.

If you are over state pension age, you may get an increase in your state pension.

If you have lost a child

A new scheme for parents who suffer the death of a child or still birth after 24 weeks has been introduced for those who are working. Visit for information on Parental Bereavement pay and leave

Photo of a customer and an advice agent
Money Advice Line 02920 871 071