Benefits available if you’re sick or disabled

The Hub logo | Logo yr Hyb

Financial help is available

There are several benefits you can apply for if you are unable to work due to being ill or having a disability that affects your ability to work. These are to replace your main income.

If you have just finished work due to illness or disability you may be able to claim New Style Employment and Support Allowance. This allowance is available if you find it difficult or impossible to work, and is paid every two weeks to help with your living costs.

Universal Credit may also be available if you are unable to work due to illness or disability.

Extra money is available for people who are ill or affected by a disability even if you work, or have savings.

Personal Independence Payments (PIP) could be available if you have a long term ill-health or disability. You may get some money to help towards your daily living, such as if you need help getting washed and dressed, and help if you have difficulties getting around. This isn’t affected by your income or savings.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child under 16 years old who has mobility difficulties, or needs more care than a child who doesn’t have an illness or disability.

Speak to the Money Advice Team for further information and help to claim any of these benefits.

What to do if your application for a benefit has been refused.

Check the letter you have received straight away. There are usually time limits if you disagree with a decision.

Take the action written on the letter or, if you need help, bring the letter to see one of our Money Advisors and they will be able to help you get the decision looked at again (these are usually called ‘mandatory reconsiderations’).

Looking For Disability Benefit Advice?

Our Disability Benefit Support Team can offer a variety of specialist advice and support regarding:

  • Child Disability Living Allowance
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Limited Capability for Work under Universal Credit
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Carer’s Allowance

We provide specialist advice and assistance with completing claim forms, Mandatory Reconsiderations and appeals, and where appropriate provide representation at Tribunal hearings.

We offer face to face appointments, telephone appointments and home visits.

For further information, email

or call our Advice Line on 02920 871 071

Photo of a customer and an advice agent
Money Advice Line 02920 871 071