If you are thinking about renting a room in your home, there are a number of important things to consider.

Do I need Permission to take in a Lodger?

If you are renting- check with your landlord and get permission confirmed in writing first.

If you have a mortgage- check with your lender first and get permission confirmed in writing.

Insurance- You should check with your home and contents insurance provider and get a reply in writing.

Things to Think about before taking in a Lodger.

Do you have children? What do you know about the background of someone who will be sharing your home?

You will be responsible for the behaviour of your lodger; for example, if they cause a disturbance to any other person in or near the property.

What should I do by law?

Furniture you must comply with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire)(Safety) Regulations 1988, for all the furniture provided to the lodger.

Electrical items should be new or be tested by a qualified electrician.

Your home must have an annual gas safety check.

How will a Lodger affect my benefits?

This will depend on whether they are living with you as part of your household, or if they simply rent a bedroom in your home and share other spaces with you. How your claims are affected is different for each benefit.

What about my Council Tax?

Many council tax discounts are affected by who lives in the property, a lodger is likely to change your council tax bill.

Do I need to pay Tax on the rental income?

The rent a room scheme allows you to earn up to £7,500 per year tax free.

Visit  www.gov.co.uk/rent-a-room-in-your-home  for more information.