The Hub logo | Logo yr Hyb

We know that worrying about affording where you live, having problems with your landlord, or trying to find somewhere new to live can be very difficult.

We can help you with some of the financial worries and refer you to other teams or trusted organisations to help you when we can’t.

Affording your home

See income and benefits for help available.

If you believe you are at risk of losing your home or are homeless

Help is available for all tenants struggling with their rent, whether they are in receipt of benefits or not, including Housing Association tenants, Council tenants and those renting from a private landlord.

Tenants experiencing hardship and difficulties over the pandemic months are advised to get in touch with the Council urgently to find out about the many ways the authority can provide help and support.

Help is available by contacting the Advice line on 029 2087 1071 or emailing renthelp@cardiff.gov.uk

The Housing Options and Advice teams have worked together to provide a comprehensive package for those that have accrued rent arrears or are struggling to pay their ongoing rent commitments.

Households with rent arrears will be able to apply for practical support to alleviate their arrears, as well as receiving advice about Council services that can help tackle their money pressures, such as money management and debt advice, information on benefits, grants and discounts they may be eligible for, signposting to employment and training support and more.

Tenants in need of support should contact the Adviceline on 029 2087 1071 or e mail  renthelp@cardiff.gov.uk

Tenancy Hardship Grant

This grant from Welsh Government is open for applications and it is to help people who have rent arrears because of the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.  You do not need to be claiming benefits to qualify for this grant and you will not need to pay this back.

You must apply via your local Council, if you do not live in Cardiff do not complete this form, you must contact your own local council.

You must have had financial hardship due to the Covid-19 pandemic that has meant that you have not been able to pay your rent in full.

To qualify you must have:

  • rent arrears of 8 weeks or more that occurred between 1 March 2020 and 30 June 2021
  • struggled to pay your rent or rent arrears due to Covid-19
  • live in and hold a tenancy for a private sector property in Wales, this does not apply if you live in a council property or a housing association property.
  • not have been getting housing benefit or housing cost payments through Universal Credit when you built up your rent arrears
  • not have been able to fully pay your rent during the period when you went into arrears because of Covid-19.

You will not be able to get a Tenancy Hardship Grant if you have not experienced financial hardship during Covid-19 or if your rent arrears are because you did not pay your rent when you could have.

After completing the form, if you are eligible, a member of our team will be in touch and you will need to supply the following evidence:

  • proof of ID (a driving licence or a passport or a birth certificate with household bills that prove your address for the last three months)
  • a copy of your bank statements for at least the past two months (including any saving accounts you have)
  • a copy of your tenancy agreement
  • evidence and details of the reason that you have not been able to pay your rent because of Covid-19
  • a written statement from your landlord or agent confirming that you are a tenant of theirs and that you are in rent arrears including the amount of the arrears and when they accrued.

If you have rent arrears or your tenancy is at risk, even if you think you won’t qualify for the Tenancy Hardship Grant please contact us as there may be other help that we can provide. ​

Apply here Tenancy Hardship Grant (cardiff.gov.uk)


Help for landlords

The Council is also keen to hear from landlords with tenants in rent arrears. Council services work with owners of private rented properties to provide interventions to save tenancies. Landlords can contact 029 2057 0750 or email  HOCPrivateRentedSector@cardiff.gov.uk

Council Tenants

Our Welfare Liaison Team can be contacted on 02920 234 200 and can help you with Money Advice and make a plan with you to help you afford your rent and any arrears.

Housing Association Tenants

If you rent your home from a Housing Association, they have different teams and schemes to help you manage your tenancy. See our list of partners for their contact details.

Private Rented Sector Tenants

Private landlords and agents now have to register with Rent Smart Wales which makes sure that tenancies are fair, and properties are safe. You can check the website to see if addresses and landlords are registered, before you sign a tenancy.

There is also further information and advice about renting from a private landlord alternatively contact Housing Options Centre on 02920 570 750


Help if you are struggling with your mortgage

The Housing Options Centre provide free, independent advice for households struggling to pay their mortgage or any loan secured on your home.  They can also help when the mortgage or loan period has come to an end.

The team will assist with court proceedings, liaising with mortgage companies and creditors, whilst reviewing your benefits, income, and debt matters. Their primary goal is to keep you in your home.

Contact them on 029 20 570750 or email  HOCMortgageDebtTeam@Cardiff.gov.uk



Looking for a new home ?

If you want to move

During Covid-19 there may be restrictions on moving house. Please check the up to date advice at www.gov.uk before making any decisions.

Waiting List for Social Housing (Common Waiting List) and Transfers

If you wish to join the housing waiting list or are an existing council or housing association tenant and wish to apply for a transfer, call the Housing Enquiry line on 029 2053 7111 and choose option 1.

An application will be sent in the post and when returned you will be contacted to carry out a phone interview.

If you have a waiting list enquiry, please call the Housing Enquiry line on 029 2053 7111 and choose option 1 or email SLU-WaitingList@Cardiff.gov.uk


We are looking at exchanges on a case by case basis at the moment. If you wish to exchange you can complete an Exchange Expression of Interest form which can be obtained from one of the hubs, or by calling the advice line on 029 2087 1071 and an officer will get back to you.

How much help can I get to pay my rent?

Universal Credit and Housing Benefit payments are means tested, and in most cases are based on  Local Housing Allowance for private renting tenants.

Social Sector size criteria (bedroom tax) applies for most people renting from their local council or a housing association.

It’s a good idea to check how much help you may get, before making any decisions about moving, so you know you can afford your new home.

Please see here for more details

Finding a landlord who will accept Universal Credit

The Housing Options Centre can provide details of private sector landlords who accept benefits payments. Please contact them on 02920 570 750 or Housingoptionscentre@cardiff.gov.uk

Money Advice Line 02920 871 071