Rent, Mortgage and Council Tax

The Hub logo | Logo yr Hyb

If you rent your home

If you rent your home there are a range of schemes and benefits available to help. Our Money Advice team will be able to guide you on the best options for you.

  • Universal Credit – is a payment to help with your living costs. It combines six benefits into one payment and if you rent your home, it can include housing costs. You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income or out of work.
  • Housing Benefit – is available to help with rent costs if you live in certain types of accommodation such as some temporary housing or supported housing. You can usually apply if you are a single person of pension age, or a state pension aged couple. You can apply for housing benefit online.
  • Discretionary Housing Payments – can be applied for if you already receive Housing Benefit or Universal Credit (with housing element) and you need extra help. These payments are limited and only for people in severe financial hardship and with very good reasons for needing to stay in their current home.

If you are struggling to pay your rent or are in arrears you should keep in touch with your landlord.

If you have a mortgage

If you’re a homeowner you might be able to get help towards the interest payments on your mortgage or loans you’ve taken out for certain repairs and improvements to your home.

You should always keep in touch with your mortgage provider if you are struggling to keep up with your repayments as they can help you keep your home.

Council Tax Help

If you’re on a low income, you may be entitled to some help towards paying your council tax.

  • Council Tax Reduction – is available to people on low incomes who have to pay Council Tax for the home they live in. If you qualify, the reduction will be applied directly to your account and a new bill will be sent to you.
  • There are other reductions and discounts available if you think you might have difficulty paying your Council Tax.
Money Advice Line 02920 871 071