Universal Credit- Managed Migration

The Hub logo | Logo yr Hyb

Changes from April 2024 that will affect you.

This year most people who receive a means tested working age benefit will be contacted by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). Your current benefits will stop, and you will have to make a claim for Universal Credit. This is called “Managed Migration.”

Am I affected?

If you get one of the benefits below you may get a letter called a “Migration Notice” which will tell you when your benefits will stop, and the deadline for making a Universal Credit claim.

  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)
  • Tax Credits

I have a partner, do we both need to claim?

Yes, you will both need to make a UC claim, which will then be joined.

Will I be worse off on Universal Credit?

For many people, their benefits will not reduce- this is called “transitional protection”. Some people may get more money if they claim Universal Credit.  You can use a Benefits Calculator to check how much Universal Credit you may get, or you can see one of our Money Advisors who can help you.

I am worried about claiming Universal Credit and having to wait for a payment?

If you get Income Support, Housing Benefit, Job Seeker’s Allowance (Income Based) or Employment and Support Allowance (Income related) you will usually be paid an extra two weeks of these benefits, to help with the move to UC. There are no extra Tax Credits payable.

I haven’t had a letter yet- should I just make a UC claim?

No! You may lose money if you claim too early. The Money Advice Team can check for you.

I need help making a claim for UC?

There are several different options for help making a claim:

Our friendly Money Advisors are here to help you, and can help with budgeting and managing your money. They can also check that you are claiming everything you are entitled to.

Call us on 029 2087 1071 or drop in and see us.